Taiwan Mandarin Edcational Resources Center
The Taiwan Mandarin Edcational Resources Center was set up to integrate the resources and results of Chinese language education in Taiwan, expand recruitment of foreign students to come and learn Chinese in Taiwan, and lift the international profile of Taiwan’s Chinese language education. This will assist promotion and implementation of the Ministry of Education’s Eight-year Chinese Language Education Promotion Plan from 2013 to 2020 and create a distinctive Taiwan Chinese language education brand for international marketing.
The Chinese language – Huayu – is fundamental to Taiwan’s culture and it is highly treasured. For many years the Ministry of Education has been promoting the Huayu Enrichment Scholarship Program, providing subsidies for groups of overseas teachers of Chinese and overseas students learning Chinese to undertake study trips to Taiwan, and providing subsidies for teachers from Taiwan to teach Chinese overseas, as part of its worldwide marketing of the Chinese language education that Taiwan offers. These measures have all contributed to increasing the number of students learning Chinese in Taiwan, and the footprints of Taiwan’s Chinese language education now spread all over the globe.
There is a worldwide enthusiasm for learning Chinese and Taiwan has already established niches in the international marketplace. The Ministry of Education is implementing the Eight-year Program to continue expanding Taiwan’s Chinese language education industry and become a driving force for both economic development, and soft power diplomacy. This requires a multidirectional approach that includes: identifying the demand for Chinese language education, strategic research and planning, creating an inventory of resources, and cross-sector industry cooperation, linking up skilled people, tourism, culture, and education. The Taiwan Mandarin Edcational Resources Center was established to undertake these tasks and achieve the mission of giving Taiwan’s Chinese language education industry new vitality.
The development of Taiwan’s Chinese language education into an industry has a very long history, and its outreach has expanded worldwide. It now incorporates hands-on and digital learning materials, and the quality of its teachers and teaching methods are widely recognized. The Office will work innovatively through its established niches to make Taiwan’s Chinese language education acclaimed worldwide.
Focus of the work
The Taiwan Mandarin Edcational Resources Center acts as the contact for external and internal service of Mandarin education in Taiwan, and assists in the introduction, promotion and administrative affairs of the policies for the eight-year plan. The following tasks are as follows:
- Demand inventory and strategy formulation
- Collect information on overseas markets and check the demand in development of Mandarin education industry.
- We provide strategies and planning advice on global deployment.
- Resource consolidation and international matchmaking
- Facilitate resource integration and connect resources in industries, governments, academia and research institutes.
- Match schools with relevant units to participate in the overseas market and promote products of Mandarin education.
- Branding and international marketing
- Build a Taiwanese Mandarin education brand that has a sophisticated culture and smart learning characteristics.
- Plan for and hold events for exchange of highlights in domestic and international Mandarin education.
Work structure of Taiwan Mandarin Edcational Resources Center
The work structure of the Taiwan Mandarin Edcational Resources Center is composed of the four items below:
- Specialized service and policy staff
- Provide special daily customer service and conference contact. Help the MOEA carry out relevant studies and plan for relevant policies.
- Quality management
- Check the eligibility for international recruitment by Mandarin education institutions. Assist in quality control of Mandarin education institutions.
- Marketing promotion
- Invite domestic Mandarin education institutions to join the ACTFL Conference and run the fanpage of the Taiwan Mandarin Edcational Resources Center, such as LINE, Youtube and Instagram.
- Resource center
- Maintain the website of Taiwan Mandarin Edcational Resources Center. Organize the training course for Mandarin teachers before teaching abroad.